Over 25 Years of Experience Serving The Quad Cities

I’ve been injured on a medical field job. What should I do?

On Behalf of | Feb 15, 2017 | Injuries, Nursing Home And Hospital Accidents |

If you are a health care worker in Iowa, you may eventually find yourself on the receiving end of the type of care you often give to others. After all, suffering a job-related injury is not uncommon for a nurse, for example, due to the nature of the work performed in the medical industry. Fortunately, if you have been hurt on the job, workers’ compensation insurance, also known as workers’ comp, can be a major help to you financially.

What is workers’ comp?

Workers’ comp is a program mandated by the state wherein an employee injured on the job or disabled at work receives payments. The benefit of this type of insurance is that, if you are injured at work, you can receive workers’ compensation benefits no matter who is considered to have caused your injury – you or your employer. The employer also benefits from this system because the insurance essentially protects employers from being sued by their injured employees.

How specifically can workers’ comp help me?

Workers’ compensation benefits cover any medical treatment you need as a result of your job-related injury. The insurance can also be used to cover replacement income as well as the cost of undergoing retraining. You can additionally receive compensation for permanent injuries suffered – for example, back issues suffered from performing a repetitious movement, such as bending over to pick up patients. However, workers’ comp does not cover pain and suffering.

When it comes to receiving replacement income, you can typically expect to receive about 66 percent of your average wage. These insurance benefits will not surpass a certain fixed amount. However, the money you receive to replace your wages while you are unable to work due to an injury is not taxed. You can begin receiving your replacement wages right away after you have missed a few working days.

Seeking counsel in a workers’ comp case

The sooner you can get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney after being injured on the job in the medical field, the better. Your attorney in Iowa can guide you through the early stages of filing a workers’ compensation claim, including filling out the initial application. In addition, if workers’ comp denies your claim, your attorney can help you to vigorously fight for the benefits to which you are entitled.


RSS Feed